Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Web 2.0

I am thankful that our instructor let us just explore the short list of winners! When I browsed Worldcat.com, I put in my zip code and voila, up popped local school libraries and my public library. This site allowed for items of interest to by placed on manageable lists that can be shared. Great for book clubs or maybe teachers/students wanting to inform you of resources they would like purchased for the library. I also explored Livemocha which is for learning a foreign language. The basic classes were free but upgrades costs. I am enrolling in the basic Spanish (free version) class.
I forgot to mention my thoughts on Web 2.0. Each article proposed various ideas of what the libraries and librarians should be aiming towards with service and technology. While it is true that we need to serve our patrons and that everything needed can't be contained on the library shelves, I question how much the tax payers will support such endeavors. Right now in my own school library, the computer alone are inadequate. It is my opinion that we will have to be satisfied with baby steps to reach our mission of serve and demand.

1 comment:

  1. Bea you rock! I love seeing all the neat web stuff on your blog. I'm sure glad I'm following you. I'm up to part 5 now and just finished rollyo. How do you like that tool?

    ReplyDelete